One of the most critical factors is a disaster is water. Everyone must assume that the water is contaminated in the time of a crisis. Therefore, all water must be boiled. It is good to stockpile as much bottled water as you can at least enough to last 7 days.
Note: I have received arguments that boiling for longer than 5 minutes will just waste good water, but 15 minutes is safer to kill Cryptospiridium. Also keep in mind that electricity will probably not be available so you will need propane ( 5 gal.).
Food, per person, for one year: (pide by 12 for 1 month)
- Wheat - 300 lbs.
- Rice - 100 lbs.
- Beans, Peas, Lentils, 50 lbs. each
- Honey or Sugar - 60 lbs.
- Salt - 3 lbs. (Get 6 lbs to be sure)
- Cayenne Pepper - 1 large can
- Herbal Seasonings
- Dried Milk - 80 lbs.
- Peanut Butter - 50 lbs.
- Dried Fruit (raisins) 30 pounds
- Canned food, or dried (ready to mix) food
- Oatmeal - 50 lbs.
- Alfalfa Seeds - 10 lbs.
- Canned Sardines, Tuna, Salmon- 20 lbs