One of the most critical factors in a disaster is water. Everyone must assume that the water is contaminated in the time of a crisis. Therefore, all water must be boiled. It is good to stockpile as much bottled water as you can – at least enough to last 7 days.
Note: I have received arguments that boiling water for longer than 5 minutes will just waste good water, but 15 minutes is safer to kill Cryptospiridium. Also keep in mind that electricity will probably not be available so you will need propane ( 5 gal.).
Food, per person, for one year: (divide by 12 for 1 month)
- Wheat – 300 lbs.
- Rice – 100 lbs.
- Beans, Peas, Lentils, 50 lbs. each
- Honey or Sugar – 60 lbs.
- Salt – 3 lbs. (Get 6 lbs. to be sure)
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 large can
- Herbal Seasonings
- Dried Milk – 80 lbs.
- Peanut Butter – 50 lbs.
- Dried Fruit (raisins) 30 lbs.
- Canned food, or dried (ready to mix) food
- Oatmeal – 50 lbs.
- Alfalfa Seeds – 10 lbs.
- Canned Sardines, Tuna, Salmon- 20 lbs.